Tuesday, February 14, 2012

Tears and a wet suit

I bottled up the emotions all day and when I got home I couldn't hold back the tears any longer. I got in the shower and began to sob. Shamefully sob. It was our very first valentines day as newlyweds and I was supposed to be putting on a dress and getting ready to frolick through fields of flowers with my new husband or something like that. But here I was crying in the shower over a "hard day at work". John was already dressed in a silk black suit that his dad had brought back from Turkey when he was in the Air Force. His dreads were in a man pony tail (wow- I miss those dreads). And here I was crying over basically nothing. I put my hands over my face feeling silly and having the little girl fear of "being too much" for this man who I feared at that instance would wonder what the %$^# he was getting himself into. But that's not what he was thinking.

He took one look at me and didn't say a word. What he did next baffled me. Soaking his one of a kind silk suit and drenching his black dress socks, he got into the shower. Just so he could hold me. To comfort me. It didn't matter how stupid it was or petty it was...

This was eight years ago but it is a moment I will never forget. It was the first time I really experienced the heart of Jesus and it was through my husband. In the midst of my shame- He scooped me up and assured me that my heart was significant to him. How much more are we loved by our Creator?

Happy Valentines Day!

" Love is patient, love is kind. It does not envy, it does not boast, it is not proud. It is not rude, it is not self-seeking, it is not easily angered, it keeps no record of wrongs. Love does not delight in evil but rejoices with the truth. It always protects, always trusts, always hopes, always perseveres. Love never fails" I Cor. 13:4-8  

1 comment: