Thursday, March 29, 2012

Holy eggs

Yeah I know. Eggs two weeks in a row. First, plastic ones for our anti-bored jar and now real ones! With easter right around the corner tis the season. A staple to every holiday and easter growing up has been deviled eggs. Just the thought of saying deviled eggs makes me laugh as growing up my mom (bless her heart) made us refer to them as "angel" eggs. For real. But for now I will be a heathen and call them what they are. Let's pretend for a moment that I cook all the time, enjoy cooking, and have the patience for it ok? As much as you strained to imagine this as I, your moment is up. I have just enough patience to boil water and even that's pushing it. I'm working on it. In the realm of cooking I'm super excited to begin sharing John's recipes and food ventures here and there with you guys whether you have a passion for cooking like he does or simply want to learn...Someday I just might.
Anyhoo, his twist on traditional deviled eggs is so over the top and amazingly tasty I had to share it! We started out by snagging some great fresh produce like beets, blueberries, radishes, and cucumbers.
The beets were coarsely chopped while the blueberries were kept whole while boiling.
  (1 beet per 1 cup of water & 1 pint of blueberries per 1 cup of water)
After several minutes (boil to desired color), they were strained and the natural "dye" that was left over was placed in bowls to cool.
 Soak your boiled eggs AFTER you remove the shells until you have the desired color. The longer they soak of course the brighter the hues. Now your ready to make the filling!

Holy Cheesy Deviled Eggs
3/4 Cup Mayo
1 TBS Mustard (stone ground)
1 TBS Gorgonzola Cheese (or blue cheese as substitute)
1 Tsp Sea Salt
* Mix key ingredients and preferably, use a piping bag to distribute the filling. This recipe is good for a dozen eggs


Ingredients for NERDY GARNISHES
Radishes 
Olives
Cucumbers
Paprika
Parsley

Radish Flowers
 Cut fine slits in the top of the radish lengthwise
 then turn the radish around halfway and repeat.
The "flowers" were then soaked in 1 1/2 TBS of vinegar & 1 1/2 TBS of Sugar to soften them and bring out their natural colors


Bunny Olives
Cut a slice off the bottom of the olive
Then cut out a v to create the ears
After making a slit in the top of the olive, insert your "ears"


Grass
Lastly, use the cucumbers to create your bed of "grass" by cutting them up finely. Assemble your eggs and garnishes as you wish & sprinkle your smoked paprika, parsley, and gorgonzala cheese crumbles as a finishing touch.

Your easter platter of cheesy holy angel deviled eggs are now ready!



4 comments:

  1. Mmmmmmmm! I want a bite!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Though I don't think my prego tummy would let me eat any of that- I LOVE how it looks : ) So fun and creative and inspiriting. PIN!

    ReplyDelete
  3. The bunny Olive is my favorite part! Lol

    ReplyDelete
  4. The bunny Olive is my favorite part! Lol

    ReplyDelete